Walker Walking


 I don't want to be off the trails forever.   It's not likely that I'll be doing anything challenging or extensive anytime soon, and I proved that to myself yesterday in a rather unfortunate manner.  Honestly? I'd probably do it again.  I probably WILL do it again.

One reason I got this walker, which is a bariatric walker and much larger and heavier than what I actually need for day to day walking, is because I wanted to be able to take it out on the trails: through the mud, over the smaller rocks and roots.   I put it to the test yesterday.  

My original plan was to walk around the lake at Howarth Park. This would be my first visit to this particular park. It is a short (1 mile) loop around the lake, and there isn't a lot of elevation change.  Of course, that's not how things turned out.

At first, it seemed pretty simple. The path was wide, although unpaved.  There are plenty of pretty stopping points for those who want to sit down and just look at the lake. 



As I walked through the shaded areas along the lake, I started photographing the lichen, moss, and fungus.





It wasn't long before I ran into a problem.



At the end of the lake, the path turns.  There are wood retaining "stairs" down, and a bridge too narrow for the walker.  

I decided to climb up to the paved path and head to Spring Lake, a path which other walkers said was "fairly flat" and my daughter warned me "don't try to go up the hill to Spring Lake".  I went up the hill to Spring Lake.

At that point, I was heading to the restrooms at Jackrabbit Meadow, which I could see on my map. The trails, however, did not seem to match my map, in part because some of the trail had been flooded near the water towers, and the trail disappeared into fresh green grass and little ponds.  At that point I had already done all the walking I had originally intended to do, and going back would be twice my intended distance.  My ankle and knee were only slightly uncomfortable, so I decided to press on to the ladies room. 

I ended up walking in spirals looking for Jackrabbit Meadow.  By the time I found it, I was getting pretty sore, and I'd done about 3 miles for the day.

Once I got my bearings, it was a little easier, and the signage was better.  I took it easy going back and up and over the hill across the dam trail, which marked the border between the two parks.  I started enjoying taking photos again throughout both parks.





loved this little mushroom.  The camera didn't do it justice. It looked like a tiny little fried egg.


I think my favorite moment of the trip was during one of my photo stops. I had just made it over the dam hill,  when I stopped for water, and turned and saw this tree



It took me a second to realize what I was looking at.



This little fellow seemed to be staring at me!

By the time I got back to the car I knew I was in trouble, and last night was hell with the pain, and I could barely walk, even leaning heavily on the walker.  This morning is better, although I'm still in a huge amount of pain at least I can walk.  I will try to remember this lesson, and stick to more familiar trails and not press on for longer periods of walking.  And no hills for a while yet.  

Comments