Shollenberger Park

I was delighted to see the wetlands wet again during my last few visits to Shollenberger Park after the month and a half of fairly constant rain brought on by the repeated "atmospheric rivers".  A lot of areas are still heavily flooded, and across the state there have been a lot of landslides and sinkholes in addition to the creeks and rivers overflowing their banks.  But here it's been mostly good, in that there was less damage due to flooding than in other parts of the state, and the birds seem to be back in the wetlands in bigger numbers, in part, perhaps, because of the time of year, but also, likely, because the wetlands are actually wet.






One of the things that really made me happy on this trip is finally getting some decent photos of the swans.  In the past, I've only gotten photos of them with their heads under their wings, or as blurry splotches in the distance. 

The photo below was fun for me because I had taken a few photos of this little isolated pond as part of a landscape shot, but as I was walking away, I saw the drake in the water.  I turned to Cay and said "look, a duck! I didn't see him there for a moment!" to which she replied "Two ducks."  And, of course, she was right.  





 I've been struggling with whether or not to continue writing here. At this point, I feel like perhaps it's more for me to look back on, a kind of scrapbook, than it is to communicate to others.  So-- I guess it's mostly photos from here on out.  

Comments