Riverfront Regional Park (2 trips!)

 Looking at my past posts, I realize I hadn't posted my LAST visit to Riverfront.  Perhaps because, having taken the Redwood Hill Trail, I was pretty sore. It's one of those "short" trails that's only short on the map, because of all the up and down.

Yesterday I went back with Cay, and we took the relatively flat trail around the lake. There are three lakes there, which were originally gravel pits.  They're lovely spots for boating and fishing now.  When I went the first time, I was concerned the Lake Loop went around Lake Wilson (the middle lake) because that's where it originates.  I could see that there wasn't a lot of shade around that lake, so I made a plan to go early.   However, the loop goes around Lake Benoist, and the trail is well shaded for most of the trip, more than half of it being at the edge of the redwoods.


But I'm getting ahead of myself.

We parked at the redwood grove, as always, and immediately I saw changes from my previous visit, which was before a major storm with high winds, rain, and lightning that had pummeled the area. 

I am not sure whether or not that was the cause of the trees that were cut as we entered the park, or those near the trail, where there were also some small bulldozers.  Infortunately the camera didn't quite capture the deep rusty red of the wood.



The lake is peaceful, although we didn't stand too long in this unsheltered spot, since the temperature was in the 90s!


Because I failed to blog that earlier trip (which occurred just before the Bodega Bay Festival) I'll add some of the photos here:


The parking lot at the edge of the redwood grove

looking through the trees in the picnic area to Lake Wilson

Straight up into the sky!

the trail into the woods

Looking across Lake Wilson

invasive blackberries ripening along the lake

Comments