Bolinas Lagoon

Today as I drove down to Bolinas Lagoon for the green crab removal project, I stopped to take a few photos.  I missed a photo of a brazen coyote trotting down the side of the road (traffic, although sparce, made it unwise to stop to take a picture) and the many harbor seals that I saw yesterday morning must have been hauled out somewhere else, because there wasn't a single one to be seen.

There were, however, seabirds and shorebirds in abundance, and I stopped a few spots to take a photo.  At one point I saw this lovely little sandbar with a few kinds of birds on it, one being a great blue heron grooming itself on a small stand rising out of the mud. In the background, there were clusters of other birds streaking across the water.  I was charmed, and pulled over, and noticed a man with his easel set up.  I snapped a couple pictures, then turned and said "what a lovely scene" but as I drove off, I noticed his painting, which was totally different from the scene I had noticed.  There were no birds on his water, but he had focused on the bluff above the lagoon...

One spot, two totally different focuses. 






 yeah, the close-up of the heron isn't well focused... I think the dust between the lenses messing things up when I start to really zoom in.

The lagoon itself is part of the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary, and is a Ramsar Site, meaning it's a wetland of internationally recognized ecological importance.  Because of that, the project (which is run in part by the Greater Farallones Association) only traps green crabs in the channel.  Houses on this little promontory are only on the channel side.  The following photo looks out across the street from the home where we were stationed for the crab count. 

Local homeowners had allowed the use of their dock for the program.  


Today's trip marks the end of my involvement with the program, which ends officially on Friday.


Comments