On the Road to Point Reyes.

 Today I took some time to photograph some things on the trip to Point Reyes National Seashore which I hadn't before.  One was this building:


Seen through the woods it looked like an orthodox church, but this photo makes it pretty clear it's not.

After I got home, I did some reseach, and found that it's a four bedroom single family home.  Which made me wonder, why all the cupolas? why the stain glass windows?  Why the embellished drop eves?   And when I looked at the history of the house, I can take a guess. 

The home was built in 1930 in a style that was pretty similar to other houses built directly on Tomalas Bay. In 1980, it looked like this:



This is how the property appeared in the 1980 John Carpenter movie The Fog.  I have to wonder if the changes to the building were to discourage people from coming to photograph the property, although all the embellishment had the opposite effect for me, and since I'd never seen The Fog, I would have had zero interest in the building had it not been overrun with cupolas. 

The other feature on the actual road was a bridge that had been painted. It's THE platform bridge on Platform Bridge Road and Pt Reyes-Petaluma Road, spanning the Nicasio Creek:




The bridge is referenced a lot as a "tourist attraction",  and going into Pt Reyes Station there is a small turnout where people obviously have parked to get a closer look at the bridge.  There is no such turnout on the side leaving Pt Reyes, which made it difficult for me (luckily there were no cars on the road) since I photographed it on the return trip.


Comments