San Francisco Zoo

 I've been remiss in posting these photos.  It's been more than a week since Cay and I went to the zoo, but a lot has been going on between then and now, including Ellen's birthday.  For Ellen's birthday, we held a memorial tea.  It's been about 9 months since her passing.  That, honestly, took a lot out of me these past few weeks, and while it's been on my mind a lot, I do want to get out a post about the zoo.

One of the most interesting things about the zoo to me, and what it does absolutely right, is it's inclusivity.  I especially loved seeing playgrounds and a children's sculpture garden with engaging educational purpose, and signage in brail. Even the playground was fitted into the environment.


one of two playgrounds, each designed for different age groups

the sign introducing the sculpture garden

the word "water" in several languages

Cailin with Gray Whale sculpture

an overview of part of the sculpture garden

and of course, there are the animals at the zoo.  I was pretty impressed with the penguin island, and even impressed by the dinosaurs, which were placed in the context of plants more than evolution into birds (although that was also mentioned in the signage).  The idea being that so many of the plants of the time were similar or the same as plants we see today... that there is a continuity there in the plant kingdom.  It was an interesting take.




as the train ran adjacent to the display, there was an added little bit of humor along the tracks:


I have to laugh that the duck had to be zip tied onto the raptor's tongue,
a detail I didn't notice until going through the photos later.

The buildings were still closed, and we were often reminded about the pandemic with signs detailing where to mask, and with social distancing circles in front of the more popular display habitats.


at the penguin island

And of course I got a lot of photos that I loved (some of which I've already shared) of different views and animals.


Of all the animals at the zoo, I ended up taking more photos of a gull family that had decided this was a good place to live.  This little gull was always exploring while the others followed mom closely.

silverback (makes you wonder who's watching who at the zoo)

peacock against one of the garden areas

hippo

rhino eating.  it's horn had been removed. 

penguins

penguins

vicuña

it took me a long time to see this sculpture as a frog reclining on it's side resting it's hand on it's cheek.  NOT a normal position for a frog, NOT what I expected in the zoo.  Cay saw it right away. 

Mexican Grey Wolf.  

This is my favorite photo from the day.  Sadly, the building was closed.

Comments