Where I see a lot of whales and realize the camera I want is NOT the camera I need.

 Today we continued a tradition.  Cay and I went down to Monterey Bay in the hopes of seeing Orca on her birthday.   I'll kill the suspense right now:  We did.  

We started out with a pair of Gray whale, a cow and a calf.  I didn't get a good photo. I generally don't photograph Gray whales unless I can get an unusual shot, mostly what I get is a little patch of barnacle covered skin around the blow holes.  I didn't get an unusual or good shot today, even though it was a cow-calf pair, which is generally pretty cool to photograph.

There were humpbacks all over the place, as is usual down there.  I used my older Panasonic which I always think will be better for things like whales and birds, but isn't.  The reason it isn't is that there now seems to be something funky going on with the electronics, so now I just take everything in video or 4K and pull frames I like.  The other reason is if I zoom in too close, I can't keep my subject in the screen when it's as choppy as it was today... and probably my recent discovery that I'm no longer able to hold the camera steady doesn't help. My best shots are taken wide and cropped later, but my cameras don't really have the resolution I want to do that. 

So, here are some of the shots:







One of the fun things for me (besides seeing whales, obviously) was seeing this boat still in the harbor:



I'm thinking we need to go back on my birthday in search of some summertime Blues.  Perhaps I will have a camera more suited to my needs, although my little point and shoot seems to be taking some pretty nice shots, when the zoom lens decides to work!  I'm thinking now I'm going to want to go (a) mirrorless and (b) as compact as possible.  Having a higher picture resolution would be a help as well.  

Comments