Moments of Beauty


I realize I haven't blogged here in a month.  It's not that I haven't done anything.  But that I've been going over old ground again, finding new things.  My current medical situation still has me tied to places where I feel safe should I need an ambulance.  Surgery is scheduled for June 2, and after that, hopefully I'll have some months of freedom before this all starts again.  

The photo above is prickly pear in bloom at the Petaluma Adobe.  Recently I've been focusing (both in a concrete and abstract sense) on details.  I took these photos the same day:



In the first one, I like looking at the variation in colors on the blossoms in various stages of bloom.  The second photo, I'm less pleased with the composition, but was taken by the spines vs thorns concept.  

This in a historic Mexican Rancho in California.  

A different focus.  A different thing to look at. Concepts unrelated to the "purpose" of the museum.

I've been Instagramming a lot of flowers in bloom as spring arrives. I've been taking time out of each day to find one thing that brings me joy just to look at. And I've been painting again.  I just finished a landscape.  

All of those things, those connections with natural beauty, have kept me going when I can't do the things I most want (which involves connection with natural beauty and diversity on the coast and in the ocean). 

One of the things I've been seeing a lot of in my "events" pages on Facebook are "Forest Bathing" experiences (just quietly being surrounded by nature) I've been doing that sort of thing for a long time, but not just in forests, at sea shores and wetlands and parks... and at times in the courtyard of my apartment building... just letting the beauty wash over me, and feeling the renewal.

Sometimes it's a day on the trails, sometimes it's a moment looking at a flower blooming along the sidewalk. 


Comments

Post a Comment