Friday, April 5, 2013

Morphine and the Litter Box

A Kali- cat update: 

Kali, in her bed, this afternoon

After struggling with having to force feed her again last night, and noting that she hadn't touched her water dish in 24 hours, and that she had become less rather than more mobile, this morning I called the vet again, and had her in for an afternoon appointment.

When she went in for her first visit last week, just a few days before her cancer surgery, she had already reduced her food and water intake to almost nothing.  But she had cancer, and we assumed that like many animals with this kind of cancer, once the amputation was done, she'd bounce back and be her old, normal self in two, maybe three days.

Instead it's all gotten worse.

The hope I had earlier this week has been crushed.  She's now having even more difficulty eating.  She settles in a spot and doesn't move for hours... like 18 hours... and I actually go in and turn her over because I'm afraid of a kitty version of bedsores.  She has cushions all over the house now, but no longer moves from one to the other.  She only gets up to go to the litter box, maybe once a day.  I bring her food in her bed, and if she won't eat it off the spoon, I have to use a little soft syringe to squirt it gently into the back of her mouth.

She doesn't climb up on the couch, if she comes to the couch after using the litter box, she sits at my feet and cries until I pick her up and put her on the couch.

The doctor found a new large lump on the leg the surgery had been done on, but much higher up on the leg.  It wasn't there before, and it's not showing up on x-ray, so we're thinking soft tissue damage.  She also has a lump on her head.  The doctor thinks she might have bumped her head, but we're going to keep an eye on her.

She's also running a fever now, so she's on different antibiotics, as well as a kitty version of a synthetic  morphine-like medication for pain.

She goes back to the vet on Tuesday.

I'm really worried about her.