Friday, December 14, 2012

no eagles, but...

Tay got her chance to see Bosque del Apache again. It's been a few years since she'd been there last, a winter trip with Brine Queen and her hubby where we spent a great deal of time in the refuge, taking the audio tour, hiking the trails, and staying for the crane fly-in. This time, stopping off for a couple hours, we had much less time to spend, but the time was just as rewarding.

We were on a mission: Tay wanted to see one of the bald eagles.  There were twice as many eagles spotted than a few weeks back when Cay and I went, but we saw none.

That doesn't mean we were disappointed.

There were a large number of hawks.  Unfortunately, my luck in getting a good shot of them has been just about as good as my luck with the eagles. This is as close as I got:


And while I was watching one side of the road hoping to see more Gambel's Quail, Tay made this spot on the other:



Tay was still congratulating herself, when I finally got a good, clear shot at a heron in a beautiful environment.


This quickly became my favorite shots.

And of course, there were the snow geese and sandhill cranes in the thousands...





In the long run, even though we'd intended not to, we did get to the northern ponds at sunset to take one of the photos of the cranes in the sunset.


I wasn't the only one photographing the scene, but probably one of the few (if not the only) doing it with a point and shoot.  There were (as always) a number of photographers weighed down with very large lenses, including this guy who had two cameras, one hanging from a band at his hip, the other he was shooting with as he wandered into my frame... and stayed.


For many people, it's all about the photography.  While I love a good photo, I'm mostly just excited capturing the moment I feel with the nature, and less excited about a trophy (or sales- worthy) picture.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like a faster camera with a little more zoom.

No comments:

Post a Comment